Dubai has seen a spate of violent incidents across the region in the past few days, with several stores in the UAE reporting issues with security.
The latest incidents took place at a Starbucks store in the US city of Chicago, as well as in the United Arab Emirates, according to local media reports.
Starbucks in the UK is also suffering the fallout, with reports of its stores in Edinburgh, Edinburgh, London, Manchester, Nottingham and Liverpool being closed.
“Starbucks has closed its UK stores in two cities in the last 24 hours due to security issues.
We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience this has caused customers,” a spokesperson told the Guardian.
The company has been hit by a string of attacks in recent weeks, including an attempted attack on its London office on January 11, in which an armed man rammed a car into its entrance and fired off five bullets.
In the past, the company has taken to social media to apologise for the incident.
“We are sorry that we have caused inconvenience and concern for customers and are working to fix the situation,” the spokesperson said in a statement on Monday.
“As soon as we received reports of this incident, we immediately contacted the police and the incident has now been closed and there are no further plans to reopen stores.”
Starbucks had previously confirmed the closures to local press, but the spokesperson did not confirm that the company had closed stores in London and Birmingham.
The Starbucks store, located at 6th Avenue and Park Place in London’s City Centre, was reportedly hit by gunfire just after 10am local time on January 18.
The spokesperson told Business Insider that the incident was caused by an altercation with another customer in the store.
“Due to an incident in our London store, which occurred shortly after 10 a.m. on January 17, we are currently closing the store,” the statement read.
“This will take effect on January 21 at 11:59pm GMT.”
Starbuck is also reportedly under attack in Dubai, with the country’s Ministry of Interior warning that the city has been under a “high security alert” for days.
“The Ministry of the Interior has received reports that a large number of people have been injured by unknown gunmen,” it said in its statement.
“These reports are not substantiated and are still under investigation.”
The US embassy in Dubai has not yet responded to a request for comment on the situation.
Follow Ben Bajarin on Twitter